* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:40 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Wondered if any of you have successfully bred these?

Mine have mated loads, but no joy so far, so I'm starting to wonder how much affect their environment would have on successful breeding.

I do my best to give them a natural environment, good substrate (as far as I can tell!), branches, moss, got some plants going in, varied diet, temp is usually 19-21c.

I still want to get them a bigger tank, but it's proving tricky to get past my GF - I really want something much bigger, with lots of height for climbing and digging.

I understand these don't breed that easily, but is there anything I might be missing?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:42 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

Good luck with breeding! Millipedes seem to mate alot, with little to show for it. But the females of some species don't lay many, (or any!), eggs for the first couple years after reaching maturity. Maybe you have a young couple who aren't ready for children yet?

Keep trying for a bigger tank. Bigger is better! Some species will not lay eggs unless the substrate is of atleast a certain depth. Besides, I have never heard of a species that didn't seem to appreciate deeper substrate. And with a bigger tank, you can always sneak in a couple more individuals or even a different species :devil:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:07 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hypoponera wrote:
And with a bigger tank, you can always sneak in a couple more individuals or even a different species :devil:

:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

Thanks for the reply - I've got the substrate at about 15cm to maybe 18cm deep at the moment, trying to balance it with enough surface stuff and climbing opportunities for them, the male loves to clamber about.

Interesting that they might not breed for a while after reaching maturity - I didn't know that.

I'm keeping an eye on their behaviour to see how they are generally, and trying to tweak the setup as I go, so fingers crossed!

If I ever manage to get a shot of the tank I'll post one up - always seem to just get a shot of reflections on the glass when I try, or it looks filthy and I don't wanna post it!

Cheers.