* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New keeper.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:27 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Howdy folks, recently had 2 gigas and 2 rainbow millipedes come into my possession. The gigas are a pair and noticed them getting a bit frisky the other day. There doesnt seem to be all that much info on the net that I could find for the more indepth keeping of millipedes. There's a small, deep hole that's appeared near the side of the tank and I've been told this could well be the female laying eggs in there, as they tend to sleep on a raised piece of coco substrate on the wall. Just wondering if it's safe to put a new hide in the viv, or should i just leave them too it until/if something hatches?

(Also any tips and tricks for keeping millis would be greatly appreciated. I'm a veteran at mantis keeping, but thse guys are quite different! Especially stuff about them moulting, i know naaathing!)

Post subject: Re: New keeper.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

Hello

Can I ask if you are keeping them entirely on the coco husk? If so, I would add a whole heap of shreded oak/beech leaves and some well rotted wood. They eat these along with fruits and veg (and beetle jelly!!) They also like a chopped up worm for a treat and moistened fish flakes.

I have found my juvenile millies like to 'practise' at breeding but nothing seems to come of it. They make tunnels in the substrate and vanish for weeks at a time, so best not to disturb them incase they are moulting.

The females lay their eggs wrapped in their poo.

Post subject: Re: New keeper.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:36 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Oh lordy no! The cocohusk is a wall background I made when it was a mantis mansion. They're living in about 5 inches of bug bedding, with a load of extra decomposing wood and old leaves gathered from the park. Shoved in some rockett dusted with calcium powder for extra nibbles.

This isnt so much a tunnel, as a deep hole really and I've been very careful not to chuck out any poop just incase hehe. I'd bought them a nice hide that i was going to submerge in the detritus, but now unsure, dont want to knock anything that shouldnt be knocked.