* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:44 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Just wondered if you more experienced milli keepers know what's natural in terms of roaming - for instance would a pair or group of millipedes dig a tunnel system, and then just return to those same tunnels, or do they tunnel across a wide area, consuming as they go?

I'm asking because I'm curious about how it affects them when I rearrange the tank - I'm going to increase the depth of substrate to see if they breed (I'm changing one thing at a time), but they've made more and more tunnels in the existing setup, which will all be wiped out if I do this.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:09 am 
Really getting into this place

I believe they simply tunnel in a random direction and hope to hit food along the way. They may stay in an area that is rich in food for a while but will move on when the food is consumed. I suspect they are not too concerned about reusing existing tunnels. But in the limited area available in our set-ups they may seem to.

Let me know if you do figure out how to get your Spiro sp8s to breed. I managed to get my hands on 2 males and 1 female!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:18 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks Hypoponera, in that case they'll probably apprecite the fresh substrate and a bit more depth to it.

Cool that you've got hold of some - that's brilliant news, how are you liking them?

As you said a while back - they mate loads, but so far no eggs, so I'm trying to work out what's not right for them, quite set on getting them to breed!

It's interesting trying to work out what's going on with them, in terms of space requirments, substrate depth etc. The male definitely likes to climb, and always gives the impression he wants more space because he's up at the sides of the tank a lot of the time, the tank isn't a bad size, but that's next on my list of things to change, so we'll see.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:25 pm 

I am not seeing them as often as you do! I expected them to be running around on the surface a lot more. Maybe mine are just a little more anti-social them yours? They did start off a bit depressing though. I was given 3 males and 2 females. ! male and 1 female died within 2 weeks! I am not sure these are adults... or of the same species :) The female just molted a couple weeks ago and is very bright green. The males do have some green but are much darker then the female. The males do have the copper highlights so they are probably just a darker color morph.

I have not seen any mating yet. Not surprising since I don't think they are adults yet. Have you seen yours molting? About how long are yours?

Good luck with finding the right conditions! You will also need to track time of year. Some species only lay for a single, short period during the year. But deeper substrate is always a good idea. Likewise, the bigger the tank the better. I have found that my female likes yellow squash, though the males have yet to touch it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:52 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I'll check the size of them next time they're up and about - they go through phases though, at the moment, and for the last few weeks they're up most of the time, but they did vanish completely for a month or so, to the point where I was getting worried about them.

Interesting that you mentioned time of year, I was starting to wonder if their activity levels were something to do with that, or maybe it's just down to the level of nutrients in the substrate.

I read that they stay under more if humidity is too low as well, but I need to check that.

Not seen either of them moult, but the male is much brighter green than the female, who is also quite a bit smaller.

Got sold these as adults, but it wouldn't suprise me if the female moulted, I'm sure she's getting darker.

I'll give squash a go - mine love oats and mushrooms, and banana, but everything seems likes banana!

I'll post back with some measurements.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:15 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Measured tonight whilst changing substrate etc.

The maile is I think about 9", female a little less at maybe 6 or 7.
Attachment:
ruler.jpg
ruler.jpg [ 269.46 KiB | Viewed 1411 times ]

Female is much darker as you can see.
Attachment:
mills.jpg
mills.jpg [ 477.03 KiB | Viewed 1411 times ]

New setup has much deeper substrate, climbing opportunities, some greenery (give it about a week until it's dead! and the usual bits, so lets see if they prefer this. I'm now wondering if the substrate is too deep! :lol: but I guess in the wild this is what they'd get at the very least.

Attachment:
millitank.jpg
millitank.jpg [ 338.49 KiB | Viewed 1411 times ]
Attachment:
millitank1.jpg
millitank1.jpg [ 240.53 KiB | Viewed 1411 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:38 pm 

Thanks for the measurements. Mine are about the same size... but the descriptions are reversed! My female is bright green and about 8-9" while the males are much darker and shorter. I did manage to spot them mating yesterday morning!! Hopefully I will see some tiny young by Spring. But at least they are happy enough to mate.

Your set-up looks great! Not to worry. I don't think it is truely possible to make the substrate too deep. They will go down only as far as they want. But they should have no trouble living as deep as 12" or even more. But with so much substrate you may never see them at the surface :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:29 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

No worries, interesting that yours are opposite I wondered if the female was due a moult, but it's been too long now.

Great that yours are mating, fingers crossed you have some success breeding them.

Good info re the depth, Thanks. Since the substrate change they've already tunnelled right to the bottom, one of the tunnels runs up to the glass, tho I've yet to see them down there.

Cheers.