* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hoped that when I finally had something to post again, it might be a bit more positive!

I got two adult Spirostreptidae sp8, about 18 months ago, all very happy and then they disappeared, which happens on and off, however they stayed under for longer than usual so I decided to unearth then and found them both dead and broken up.

Nothing telltale that I could see, male was further along than the female, female seemed very wet and smelly inside, but internal organs were still there to a point, shell looked fine, nothing I could really see wrong.

I think something must have gone wrong for them to both die at the same time, although really I can't be sure of their age at all.

Substrate was still looking pretty good, regular misting, on digging down it was damp but not wet, regular food changes, temperature was fine.

Wondered if anyone might be able to offer any suggestions as to what went wrong?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:30 pm 
Really getting into this place

Sorry to hear that Ned!! Not sure what could be the cause. But I have something similiar happen every Spring. I had 10 large, but still immature, Ophistreptus guineensis at the beginning of winter. On the 1st of May I cleaned out the cage and found only 3 still alive. Last Spring it was my colony of 5 Telodeinopus aoutii adults that took a hit. I now have only 1 left. The Spring before it was my Mardonius parilis acuticonus colony. None of the dead showed any outward signs of cause of death.

On another, closely related, downer I am down to 1 male and 1 female Spirostreptidae sp 8! I found the second male dead at the surface in March. I have seen mating once and still have hope of seeing some little ones down the road. But that hope got a bit thinner!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:10 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Whoa, I was miserable enough about losing my two. That's really miserable news, sorry to hear that.

Interesting that these losses are occurring at a similar time each year, although I guess they'd made it through previous springs, this was only the second one for mine, got them October 2012, and no hint of any problems until they died. Random.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the breeding - I have young in the tank, but I'm pretty sure they're native species that came in with the substrate, I'm keeping an eye on them though.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:36 pm 

Fortunately the Mardonius recovered and I now have loads of tiny Mardonius tooling around the tank with huge piles of eggs as well. So all is well with them.

The Telodeinopus aoutii just got restocked on Monday. I was sent 6 immatures from a friend in Germany. The cool thing is that 5 are a beige color rather then greenish. I suspect it may be a color morph, though can not rule out that it is a different species all together.

Hopefully I will be able to restock the Ophistreptus guineensis latter this year. They are a common species that my friend usually see regularlly at the invert shows. So my losses should be replaced shortly. I just wish I knew what was going on.

On a good note, my friend sent me a new species to try. He sent 1 male and 2 female Rhinocricus gaudichaudi. It is a small species but very pretty. And I don't think it has been brought into the US before.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Glad you got the Mardonius colony back on it's feet, sounds like it's going great with them.

The Telodeinopus sound interesting - you need to get a diary thread up so we can see some photos!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 pm 

Alas, that means I need to replace my camera lens. I dropped the original and it no longer likes to focus... either in auto or manual modes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:08 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Ouch!