* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:38 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Hello there. I'm considering getting a millipede, which may be possibly be the bumblebee millipede. I therefore have a few questions about feeding and related facets concerning care for millipedes.

Firstly, I understand that it is highly advisable to have rotten hardwood bark and leaves for the millipede to feed on. Would it be necessary to sterilise the wood and leaves I use by freezing and or heating them in the oven? I've already gathered some hardwood (which I believe is from a beech tree, possibly. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it is hardwood) which I froze overnight and then heated in the oven at 250F for about half an hour. Would it be suitable to use?

Second, in terms of keeping the millipede hydrated, would spraying the enclosure regularly with tap water be suitable, or should I use a supplement such as bug gel?

Lastly, I've considered getting some woodlice to accompany my millipede in its enclosure, in order to help control waste and such. Would they be able to coexist or would they bother each other?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly, heh. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:49 pm 
Really getting into this place

Sounds like you are off to a fairly good start! Here are some suggestions for you:

The hardwood bark is mainly going to be for tank decor. The millipede will actually eat just the hardwood itself. The wood must be VERY soft or the milli won't be able to eat it. Beech should be fine, but don't worry about putting huge amounts in. A small piece will last a long time.

Crushed/shredded leaves will make up the majority of your millipedes diet. I like to mix an equal amount of Eco-Earth and leaves together to form a nutritious substrate. The Eco-Earth also does a good job of retaining moisture. Get the mix good and damp with tap water. then put it in the container.

Yes, you will probably need to spray the enclosure on a regular basis. But you might want to use distilled water for this. Over time the tap water will leave a white mineral residue that will hinder viewing.

Heating and freezing should go a long way to eliminating the "undesirables". But you may want to heat for at least an hour.

Woodlice are a fine addition. But they will quickly reproduce to fill the tank. Large numbers of woodlice will eat the food supply very rapidly. So try to keep the numbers down. I have heard/read that the woodlice can eat/damage millipede eggs. But so far I have not seen any signs of such in my breeding tanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:32 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Thank you very much for the helpful response, Hypoponera. I'll keep the advice you gave me in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 am 

I use collected leaf mulch as my sub. Nice deep layer of it, then decayed wood and old leaves on top. I sterilise in the microwave. I used to regularly feed extra food, but my mills seem to spend more time munching on the old leaf layer, so I only rarely add any extra food now. I did give them a slice of cucumber yesterday, but seldom see them touch added food items, so more of a treat than necessity.
Mine are happy, healthy and thriving, so must be ok for them in there.
The secret is not to disturb them I'm told. They form a tunnel network in the sub and that's where they moult and lay eggs. I just top up the sub and leaves when needed and mist down the surface now and then.......Ultimate low-maintainance bug really! I have three species in there: rainbows, fires and pink-legs (my fav species) and great little critters.