* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

Hi, I have two pink leg and two rainbow being delivered on Tuesday. We haven't owned millipedes but do have snakes, lizards, a spider, an axolotl and did own GALS for years so no strangers to exotics and the importance of correct husbandry. I have just a few questions for set up so ready when they arrive.

1) In my garden I have rotting silver birch branches. Ok - Yes or No?
2) We have, apple, plum, horse chestnut and silver birch trees. Leaf mulch from these - Yes or No?
3) Is spagham moss the moss all over my local woods?
4) I have multi purpose compost. Yes or No?
5) Exo Terra Forest bark. Yes or No?

Food wise, is there anything poisonous to avoid, I have dry bug food that the dubias enjoy as well as crushed cat biscuit and cereal mix. Would the millies eat this? Would they enjoy some of crested geckos food when I make it up.
Would I be best off dusting with nutrabol or providing a cuttlefish?

Will they drown if water too deep and what is too deep?

Thanks in advance.
:?:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:08 pm 
Really getting into this place

1 yes
2 yes
3 don't know, but the moss is just to help retain moisture and look interesting. You should be able to use the stuff in your woods.
4 depends what is in it. I usually use ground coconut husk which is sold under several names such as Eco-Earth instead.
5 yes

You can try all the possible foods you listed. They may try any of them. I would recommend you add fruit and veggie scraps. Most of the species I have like water melon, squash, banana peels, corn on the cob, peas, etc.... I have not found a need to add calcium, but feel free to add a piece of cuttlefish. Worst that happens is you have a tank decoration.

Mix your leaf mulch with compost/eco-earth. fill tank at least 4 inches deep. Keep moist/damp, but not soaking wet! If you have standing water then you have way too much water.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:25 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

Hypoponera wrote:
1 yes
2 yes
3 don't know, but the moss is just to help retain moisture and look interesting. You should be able to use the stuff in your woods.
4 depends what is in it. I usually use ground coconut husk which is sold under several names such as Eco-Earth instead.
5 yes

You can try all the possible foods you listed. They may try any of them. I would recommend you add fruit and veggie scraps. Most of the species I have like water melon, squash, banana peels, corn on the cob, peas, etc.... I have not found a need to add calcium, but feel free to add a piece of cuttlefish. Worst that happens is you have a tank decoration.

Mix your leaf mulch with compost/eco-earth. fill tank at least 4 inches deep. Keep moist/damp, but not soaking wet! If you have standing water then you have way too much water.

Thanks for the reply, just two more questions. Under our trees are green freshly fallen leaves or brown dried leaves, is mulch the dry brown ones wetted down? I have the flaky wood from rotting tree branches, will the millipedes eat that? :?

This is the new tank on the diary forum. viewtopic.php?f=211&t=57033&p=500965#p500965

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:06 pm 

You can use both old and new leaves. I use old because they are much easier to shred. I gather several garbage bags of leaves every fall. These bags are left behind the shed and used the following spring. Newly fallen leaves should be dehydrated in an oven or food dehydrator before use. Most millipedes will not eat fresh leaves as they contain secondary compounds that taste bad or are toxic. Cooking helps to remove those compounds.

The millipedes may eat the flaky wood from rotting tree branches. Mine usually eat far more leaves then wood though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:28 am 
Just joined
Just joined

Hypoponera wrote:
You can use both old and new leaves. I use old because they are much easier to shred. I gather several garbage bags of leaves every fall. These bags are left behind the shed and used the following spring. Newly fallen leaves should be dehydrated in an oven or food dehydrator before use. Most millipedes will not eat fresh leaves as they contain secondary compounds that taste bad or are toxic. Cooking helps to remove those compounds.

The millipedes may eat the flaky wood from rotting tree branches. Mine usually eat far more leaves then wood though.

Do you just put the old leaves in dry or wet?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:31 pm 

I usually soak the old leaves in water. But you can add them dry. They will slowly wick moisture from the surrounding substrate.