It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:38 pm 
Really getting into this place

Hi All

So when I used to still live in South Africa I had a very large exotic snake collection, but 3 years ago my work forced me to move to Namibia, which doesnt allow ANY exotic reptiles.

This was a blessing in disguise as I was forced to part with my snake collection and sent me into the world of invert, so I am eternally grateful.

Couple of months ago I decided to again try my hand at keeping some indigenous snakes so I decided to get a trio of Bitis caudalis. This is such an amazing variable species. All three my animals are from within 15km of my house, just to give you an idea of how much they differ in colour and pattern.

Dont mind the dirty cages, it is cleaning time.

Male. He has the biggest horns I have ever seen and I have seen HUNDREDS of these. Looks like a bloody Cerastes!

Female 1. She has a couple of blemishes so I cant wait for her to shed. She still feeds like a champ.

And lastly female 2, very atypical colour and pattern for this locality.

Thanx for looking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Very nice Westley, realy like the colour of the ginger female, pardon my ignorance but are they venomus and how difficult is it to look after them if they are? I'd be scared whitless feeding/cleaning them in case i got bit!!!! :o

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:03 am 

Hi Dranared

Yeah, they're venomous with a potent cytotoxic venom, but the yield is so small that bites are seldom serious. The worst cases I have heard about are guys losing a finger, but that is an extreme case.

Because they occur where I live, they are very easy to care for. They dont enjoy humidity as the are desert-living.

Feeding is also really easy because these are so small. The biggest I have ever heard of was 60cm, but typically they max out at 40cm so keeping out of striking distance is easy. They also feed straight off the tongs, which also helps.

Next time I feed I will make a little video.