It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: brixton snails
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:45 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

me and my friend might be going to brixton tommrow and wondered do they still sell live snails in brixton? and the location of any of the shops as we have lost some of our snails due to old age and would like to get some more and what better way than saving them!

Post subject: Re: brixton snails
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

You're unlikely to find any this early in the year - they are usually not available until late spring and summer. I found some margies in Brixton in early June last year, and others were able to find snails (margies and tigers) in Brixton and Dalston a month or two later.

If you want to try in a month or so, last year I found margies in the Market Row arcade. Come out of Brixton station, turn left, and then left again onto Electric Avenue. Walk down the street past all the stalls, and you'll come to the turning onto Atlantic Road. Turn RIGHT here, and stay on the right-hand side of the road. You will come to Market Row, a covered arcade/market - it has Market Row written on the front of the building. I think it's next to a bakery.
Go in and walk straight through til you're almost at the end. The shop I found the snails in is called (I think) WA-ZO-BIA or something very similar to that. It has crates of vegetables and fruit outside it. It's opposite a tiny store called something like "Electronics Warehouse", and a fancy-looking organic food-type cafe called "Wild Caper".
The snails were in a bucket near the counter, next to all the dried fish heads and other stinky stuff! The guys there are actually really friendly and helpful and they didn't care at all that I wanted snails for pets, in fact they helped me search through the bucket for live snails. Take some handwipes with you for once you get out of the shop, as you'll need them after digging through the bucket - mud and slime and snail poo everywhere.
Last year they were charging £3 per snail and they were BIG - make sure you have plenty of tank space for them. They're tough creatures but don't expect them all to survive no matter how well you care for them - I only lost one snail out of the six I picked up, but it was still gutting to spend so much time and effort on trying to nurse her back to health only for her to die a couple of weeks later. Thankfully the others are now very happy and healthy and have provided me with two batches of beautiful babies :) You'll need to give them a very thorough warm bath when you get them home, as they'll be absolutely filthy and their shells will be caked in mud and dirt, and they'll probably be quite retracted or sealed in and the warm water will encourage them out. Put them in a very warm pre-prepared tank next to some food, and hopefully they will come out for something to eat :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:26 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

and so begs the question:

what would someone want with a bucket of dead stinky snails :idea: im assuming the dead ones dont make good pets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:08 pm 
Admin
Admin

excellent instructions and if they dont work just sniff a lot and the smell of stinky fish will lead you right to them :mrgreen:

Mini Beast Farm clicky here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

mazzer10 wrote:
and so begs the question:

what would someone want with a bucket of dead stinky snails :idea: im assuming the dead ones dont make good pets.

They are sold as food. Why anyone would want to eat something they've bought from such filthy and unhygenic conditions is beyond me, but there you have it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:17 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

No sign of snails today at Brixton, though I didn't look terribly hard as I was mostly there to pick up fruit and veg, but I did have a look in the usual shops and no-one has them in yet. I'll look again in a couple of weeks when I next go on a mission for cheap snail food! :)